Kliptown is the oldest residential district of Soweto, and was first laid out in 1891 on land which formed part of Klipspruit farm.
The farm was named after the klipspruit (rocky stream) that runs nearby.
From 1903 the area was home to informal settlements (squatter camps), and the area now contains a mixture of purpose-built housing
and a large number of shacks and other informal homes which form the Chris Hani and Dlamini settlements.
In June, 1955, Kliptown was the home of an unprecedented Congress of the People, organised by the African National Congress,
the South African Indian Congress, the South African Congress of Democrats and the Coloured People's Congress.
This Congress saw the declaration and adoption of the Freedom Charter, which set out the aims and aspirations of the opponents of apartheid.
click on image to enlarge